Franc - Day 18

Well, I've been tinkering with my vegan meatless meatball recipe and I think I'm pretty happy with the results. We made the meatballs for dinner and finished the dish off with my mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes. I've got a bunch of left over meatballs so I think I will save them and toss them in with some spaghetti marinara this week. I imagine these could also be shaped into patty shapes if you want homemade vegan burgers. Here's the simple recipe:

Vegan Meatballs
1 cup finely chopped portabella mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 of a package of Gimme Lean vegan sausage about 8oz
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 can black beans
1.5 cups unflavored bread crumbs (I made my own)
5 tablespoons corn meal
1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon back pepper
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

First take the chopped mushrooms, onion and garlic and saute in extra virgin olive oil until soft. In a bowl take the black beans and smash into a paste. I found that using a small flat bottomed glass smashes them pretty well. Add the sauteed items, sausage, quinoa, bread crumbs, cornmeal, Italian seasonings, garlic salt and pepper in the bowl and mix well. Form small meatball shapes, about a tablespoon worth is about perfect. Add the vegetable oil to a deep fry pan and fry the meatballs until golden brown. I found that when they get a little crispy edge they taste great are are done. Enjoy!

                                              ~Franc

No comments:

Post a Comment