~Day 19 Betty Feeling Saucy

Today I couldn't figure out what to make. I was going to make soup (poor Franc still  has a cold) but upon further inspection of my refrigerator, I changed my mind.  I had a bunch of spinach that looked like it was nearing the end of its life and some mushrooms and so i whipped up this pasta dish that turned out really well. Here's how I made it:

Saute one half large onion one (or more) Tablespoons of chopped garlic
about a cup of sliced mushrooms
one Tofurky Italian style veggie sausage chopped into small pieces (for the carnivore in Franc)
About two cups (or more) of fresh spinach until it gets nice and wilted
Add about a can and a half of red pack tomato sauce
one can of diced tomatoes with the juice
one half can tomato paste
Table spoon of italian seasoning and a splash of red wine if available (if not a pinch of sugar)
Cook 1lb of penne pasta and add the pasta directly to the sauce. MMMMMMMM !
This is a very hearty dish. I added a little of the pasta water to thin the sauce a bit maybe about 1/4 of a cup
Its extremely filling and even non-vegetarians will enjoy this. Serve with Crusty bread and a salad.

Bettys Spinach & Mushroom sauce
                                                    It's Italian night at Betty and Francs House,
                                                                     Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment