Franc on the road and eatin' vegan

Hi Everyone. This past weekend I had to travel to NYC for business, so I had to prepare a little ahead to be sure I could find stuff to eat. Before I left I Googled vegan restaurants and of course there are a bunch in New York. I decided to try The Organic Grill because it was near McSorley's Ale House in East Village, and I love to stop at McSorleys for some "lights and darks". If you've never been to McSorley's, you have to check it out. It's the oldest bar in New York, still has saw dust on the floor and they only serve two types of beers, light or dark. The atmosphere is friendly and the decor is classic to say the least. Go see it, you'll have a blast.
After a few rounds at the Ale house we stumbled two blocks away to The Organic Grill on First Ave. It's a cozy little spot and the food was goooood. Three of us tried the vegan perogies. They were stuffed with a creamy cheese like sauce and had spinach in them as well. They were more like a ravioli than a real perogi, but over all they were good and they filled you up. We also got a side of mashed sweet potatoes and they were sweet and creamy and just fabulous. My non-vegan friend that was with us was able to get a nice Tilapia dish, so all were happy. The check for four people and 1 round of drinks only came to $100, which I felt was pretty good for dinner in NYC. The breakfast menu looks great too, so I'll have to check that out the next time I'm there.
Over all traveling and eating in the city was pretty easy. Even at the airport I was able to find some nice salads and side dishes to get me through. The one night I went across the street from my hotel and ate a large vegan burrito at Chipolte. It was really filling, fresh and only cost me like $10. The longer I am vegan the more I realize that it's really not as hard as I expected it to be. Even when traveling, which was one of my biggest concerns early on, I'm able to find good choices with just a little planning and creativity. Plus I think it's fun to force yourself to try new places and go a little out of your comfort zone to experience new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment