~Oprah goes Vegan

Oprah and her staff went vegan for 7 days and I thought it was a great way to get viewers thinking about what ingredients you and your family are consuming. It also brought to light some things regarding the meat industry that perhaps everyone isn't aware of, in all I think any opportunity to getting people to think about the correlation between their health and their diet is a positive one. Here's a link to the Oprah site that I think is kind of cool. I particularly like the shopping list that's easy to print out and could get you to just look for some of these items in the store the next time you are there.

http://www.oprah.com/packages/vegan-starter-kit.html

                                                                         All the cool kids are going Vegan,
                                                                                            Betty
P.S
I ordered the book Veganist by Kathy Freston that
they discussed on the show. I cannot wait until it
gets here :-)


Here's my (Franc's) quick thoughts on Oprah's vegan experiment..... As Betty mentioned, I thought it was great that Oprah at a minimum got people to think a little about where their food comes from and the health benefits of a Vegan or Plant-based diet. I think that asking her staff to try Veganism for 1 week was honorable, but I think that more time is needed to really understand this lifestyle. Heck, I still feel I have a lot to learn and I've been doing this for 5 weeks! I assume if she asked her staff to try it  for a longer period she would not have had the turn out she did. I really liked the idea that even small changes could make an impact on your health. The idea of going "Veganish"is a nice concept for those not willing to make the full switch to the Veg, I think that if people can incorporate some vegan choices into their diets, that perhaps we could see a decrease in Diabetes, Heart Disease and our countries weight problems. Thanks to Oprah for at least getting people to think about what goes into their bodies and for showing the vegan lifestyle in a positive healthy light.

No comments:

Post a Comment