Here's an easy alternative to Pancakes and it's Vegan! - Franc

As a certified big "American Breakfast" lover, one of the things I had to adjust to when going vegan was no more bacon, eggs, and fatty pancakes. While my waistline thanks me, it took a little while for my tastebuds to adjust to more lighter fare. So here's one small alternative to Pancakes that I've actually been eating since I was a kid... Corn Meal Mush Cakes. My dad and uncle made these ever so often in my Italian American home. Oh memories.... Here's what you do -


Corn Meal "Pancakes" - Vegan Baby!
 Buy one package of Corn Meal Mush. Mush is very similar in taste to Polenta. You usually find mush in the dairy section near the eggs. It comes in a tube shaped package. Slice up the mush into 1/8 inch thick rounds. You want all the slices to be as uniform as possible so that they cook evenly. In a large fry pan melt about 2-3 table spoons of Vegan Butter (we like the Earth Balance brand), then add the mush rounds in a single layer. Flip as needed. Simply cook till the mush is soft and cooks through. I personally like it when the edges get just a little tiny bit crispy. Serve on a plate with a little extra vegan butter and natural maple syrup. They are yummy and a nice alternative to pancakes. Yes, I fatten them up a bit with the butter, but you can use less if you like ;-)   I also like to serve this dish with a little fried potatoes on the side. Makes a great meal on the weekend when you have the time to do a big breakfast for the family.

- Franc

No comments:

Post a Comment